Monday, August 3, 2009

Yesterday, August 2nd

I'll fill you in first on yesterday, since I was too tired to blog last evening.

I got up a little bit late, and slept better than the previous night but still not fantastic since I was on the floor. After a bagel and a drink and Dunkin Donuts, I made my way to the bus terminal. Unfortunately, the bus left just before I got there so I had to wait another 50 minutes for the next one.

Eventually, I did manage to get a ride to Seongsan and after an hour and a half and a short chat with the friendly guy next to me, I arrived at Seongsan Ilchubong. Ilchubong is a mountain in the shape of a bowl and is left over from a volcanic eruption, which is what formed Jeju in the first place. It's quite a site from the top and gives a good view of Udo and Jejudo.

On the way there, I stopped in a little restaurant and got bean paste soup, Jeju style, with two shrimp in it. The mountain itself was quite a climb and I was completely sweaty by the time I reached the top. The view, however, was well worth it(and the sense of accomplishment ;) ).

With that out of the way, I started for the port, from whence I would take the boat to Udo. On the way there, I saw a few of the famed "hae-nyuh," or "sea women." At least, I think that's who they were. Jeju, and especially Udo, are well-known for their hae-nyuh, women divers who can hold their breath for over two minutes, dive to great depths and have a certain whistling sound they make when they emerge. Afterwards, they sell the fresh seafood to locals and passerbys.

I took the 15 minute ferry ride to Udo and was hoping to rent an ATV but, due to the long line, settled for a bike. I biked down the middle of the island and around the coast. It was quite beautiful and the weather couldn't have been better. Got some great pictures including a couple with me in it, one thanks to a friendly Korean couple who offered to take it for me.

I took the last boat back to Seongsan and after a lengthy walk, made it back to the nearest bus stop. While I was waiting, a Korean man struck up a conversation with me in English but he and is wife gave up and started conversing in Korean after they found out that I could speak it.

After waiting for a few minutes, a taxi pulled up and said he would take us to Jeju City for $5 a piece. Normally, the ride would be about $30 and the bus is $3 so it sounded like a good deal. Another girl who was sitting there and I took him up on the offer. He had another lady in the front seat and never set the timer on his cab. After he dropped the first lady off, he kept looking at bus stops and tourist places trying to find people to pick up on the way to Jeju. My guess is that his shift was finished so since he had to head back to Jeju anyway, he was picking up some extra pocket money.

The other girl, who was about my age, was very friendly and spoke very good English. We chatted a little bit, when she wasn't falling asleep. When that happened, she gradually tilted over(as sleeping Koreans are prone to do) and ended up sleeping on my shoulder/arm. Glad I spent the extra two bucks for a quicker ride and a fun experience. :P

When we arrived, the man I met the previous night came with his wife and two young children to pick me up and take me to a local famous restaurant, one where the president also visited(with his picture with the owner proudly displayed at the counter). Apparently a lot of famous people frequent it, though, as there were signatures and notes all over the walls from various people of note.

There, we had a traditional Jeju meal of various kinds of seafood, including raw fish and raw squid. We also had juice from the fruit of a cactus mixed with sprite, which was really good. His friend and his family also met us at the restaurant and we all went to Halla mountain park afterwards for a stroll.

When we were finishing our walk, he invited me to come back to his house for coffee. I agreed and we all gathered in his apartment for plum tea, watermelon and peaches. It's amazing that these two families that I had never met before would be talking to me as if we were good friends and having me over to their house. His wife even gave me a bottle of plum tea for my mom after I told her how much she likes it.

Finally, it was time to leave and he drove me back to the sauna where I was going to stay and told me how he would never forget me and if I come back to Jeju, then we have to meet. I've never met people in Korea who are as friendly as the people in Jeju.

One lady came up to me with her little girl and was trying to get her to speak in English. So many other adults and children have spoken to me while I have been here.

Anyway, no time to post about today so I'll fill you in tomorrow.

1 comment:

bre.m said...

Wow, it sounds like you have been busy!